Trump’s former bankrupt casino in Atlantic City is set to be demolished.
Atlantic City Mayor Marty Small said on Thursday that plans to implode the entire Trump Plaza have been submitted by Icahn Enterprises, the company which now owns the building.
But the timeline for the demolition isn’t set. Small said,
“My administration’s goal is to get it down. By the end of the year, or late February, and time for cleanup for next summer season.”
Small said in January,
“It’s an embarrassment, it’s a blight on our skyline, and that’s the biggest eyesore in town.”
Small went to the Superior Court in Atlantic County earlier this year and had the property deemed an “imminent hazard” to force its demolition.
The plaza opened in 1984 after two years of construction. It closed down in 2014. A month after it shuttered, Trump sued to have his name removed.
Billionaire Carl Icahn assumed ownership of Trump’s former casino company, Trump Entertainment Resorts, from bankruptcy in 2016.
Trump formerly owned three casinos in Atlantic City. The Trump Plaza is the last one remaining since the other two properties are now operating under new name. The Trump Taj Mahal sold for $50 million in March 2017 – a fraction of the original $1.2 billion cost to build.
The former Trump Taj Mahal is now the Hard Rock and the Trump Marina is now the Golden Nugget. The Taj’s closing in October 2016 put nearly 3,000 people out of work and triggered a union case that went to the Supreme Court.