So what are “fandoms” anyway?
Fandoms are like a virtual kingdom of fans ruled by one entertainer on Tumblr. Fandometrics is how they compile the list of the top 20 fandoms.
Fandometrics is the result of our efforts to compile a database of Tumblr’s favorite entertainers and entertainments, and track the shifts in our users’ collective affection. Every week, our Content team puts together a list of the most frequently used tags on the platform, accounting for the following criteria:
- How many posts were created that contain the tag
- How many times that tag was searched for
- How many times a post using that tag was reblogged
- How many times a post using that tag was liked
Our system sorts each tag into one of the six Fandometrics categories. If the tag is unknown, we assign a category to it. Related tags are grouped—for example, the show Supernatural is referenced by both the “supernatural” and “spn” tags. This allows as much of the conversation as possible to be captured.
Within those categories, each fandom (that is, each group of related tags) is ranked based on the weighted mean of the four actions listed. The factors by which we weight them are a secret, but basically we’re accounting for the fact that, for example:
- Some of these actions are performed more frequently than others. For example, searches are performed more often than original posts are created.
- Some of these actions are more visible than others, and more likely to produce additional actions. Posts and reblogs, for example, will be seen by many people across the blog network. Searches, conversely, are between you and your computer.
To make a long story short: We weight and normalize the number of actions to create a more accurate picture of each fandom’s influence across Tumblr.
Fresh rankings are posted every Monday at 6 p.m. Eastern.
Without further adieu, here is Tumblr’s list of the top 20 reality star fandoms:
1. Kylie Jenner
2. Kim Kardashian
3. Amber Rose
4. Khloe Kardashian
5. Cardi B
6. Katya Zamolodchikova +6
7. Kourtney Kardashian −2
8. Blac Chyna
9. Maddie Ziegler
10. Adore Delano +6
11. Violet Chachki −4
12. RuPaul −2
13. Rob Kardashian
14. Alyssa Edwards
15. Paris Hilton −1
16. Kim Chi
17. Farrah Abraham
18. Val Chmerkovskiy
19. Alaska Thunderfuck −2
20. Trixie Mattel −5
*The number beside the name indicates how many spots a name moved up or down from the previous year. Bolded names weren’t on the list last year.