Such sad news to report. My old friend, Susan Martin just posted that Brian Butterick has died.
“Devastated by the passing of my dear friend, conspirator, and one of the funniest, most intelligent and subversive people I’ve every known: Brian Butterick aka Hattie Hathaway. Brian was magical. So many blessings and love go with you, Brian.“
DJ Johnny Dynell wrote,
“Last night I lost one of my best friends in the world. From the night he fired me from the Pyramid Club in 1981 through 10 years of Jackie 60 to planning his trip to New Orleans for next week’s Night Of 1000 Stevies we had a ball. So many good times and laughs. That’s what I will always keep with me. We’ll miss you Hattie…”
From Linda Simpson,
“Devastated to hear that Hattie Hathaway a.k.a. Brian Butterick has died. One of the great NYC queens, dating back to the punk era. Truly, there would be no modern drag scene if she hadn’t helped plow the way. OMG, will I miss her sardonic wit. Hugs to all those who loved her.“
Brian touched SO many lives, most recently on the board of directors at Howl Arts.
According to his Facebook page, in reverse order he was
• Co-Producer/Scenery Chewer at The Jackie Factory NYC
• Worked at Radio Wonderland
• Producer/Manager at Rapture Café and Books
• Actor at The Threepenny Opera
• Manager at Filter 14
• Producer/Manager at Mother
• Hate-ress/Bartender at Jackie 60
• Ring Mistress at Blacklips Performance Cult
• Creative Director/Producer at The Pyramid Club NYC
• Co-Producer at Disco Interruptus
• Creative director at The Pyramid Club – 1981 to 1986
• Busboy at Danceteria
• Chef at Empire Diner
• Chambermaid, Breakfast Cook, Waiter at Gifford House Inn
• Studied Life Skills at St. Dymphna’s Music Conservatory For Neurasthenics
• Studied at Colby College
• Went to Bronx High School of Science
He was also one of the members of the legendary band 3 Teens Kill 4 and the surviving members just performed at the Whitney Museum at David Wojnarowicz‘s retrospective at the end of last year.
I knew Brian since the Pyramid days, 35+ years ago and many knew him by his drag persona, Hattie Hathaway. This news is too fresh and shocking for me to process and say what a unique man he was. SO many will miss his intelligence, humor, fierce determination and well-placed anger at all injustice.
His Facebook profile image is the quote below.
RIP, Hattie. Meet you in that VIP lounge in the sky –I know you’ll get me in.
A memorial website has been set up for Brian/ Hattie and you can leave pictures, tributes and comments here.
(Photo, Elizabeth Bouiss)