The legendary 6666’s Ranches have been in the same family for 150 years and they just hit the market for a combined $341.7 million .
The property consists of three separate divisions across multiple counties in West Texas about 95 miles east of Lubbock. The 6666’s Ranch located at Guthrie contains 142,372 acres. The Dixon Creek Ranch is located in Carson and Hutchison Counties, and contains 114,455 acres. And Frisco Creek, and another smaller one is located in Sherman County and features 9,428 acres. In total, 266,555 acres.
For reference, that’s about 18 times the size of Manhattan.
The broker handling the sale, Chas. S Middleton says,
“These are historic properties, very pristine, top-notch ranches,. The ranches are well improved. Such ranches rarely come onto the market.”
The 6666’s Ranches began in 1870 with Captain Samuel Burk Burnett, who became one of the most influential and prosperous cattlemen in the history of Texas.
At 19, Burnett purchased 100 head of cattle that had the 6666’s brand that became namesake of several more ranches he purchased.
The first oil well drilled in the Texas Panhandle was on the 6666’s Dixon Creek Ranch in 1921 and in 1969, a major oil field was discovered there. Ka-Ching!
The main house, with 13 bedrooms, 13 bathrooms, and two kitchens, was built in 1917 by Burk Burnett. It is made from stone quarried rock and cost $100,000 to build at the time.
Additional improvements at the main Headquarters include the pilot’s quarters, 2 bunk houses, the famous 6666’s loft barn, equipment storage, feed building, round pen, dog kennel, two laborer houses, approximately 20 employee houses, the 6666’s Supply House, a 3,600 square foot enclosed airplane hangar and a 65 foot x 6,000 foot private landing strip.