Sotto il Monte translantes to “Under the Mountain”.
Originally designed in 1927 by George Washington Smith, the Italian Renaissance-inspired estate covers almost 12 acres with more than 18,000 square feet of living space.
The immaculate grounds and gardens—originally designed by architect A.E. Hanson— and the villa, are truly impressive.
Featuring everything but a bowling alley and gift wrap room… although there IS room….
- main house with 8 bedrooms and 12 bathrooms
- indoor solarium pool
- a 25-meter outdoor pool with 2-story pool with a sunken sports bar and TV area, a double steam shower, a gym, small catering kitchen & laundry room
- tennis court
- a chef’s kitchen
- butler’s pantry
- breakfast room
- 2 wine cellars (an elevator leads to the 3rd wine cellar)
- 3 bedroom/ 2-bath guest house
- 6-bed staff house
- staff wing with 2 bedrooms, baths en suite, an office, laundry room with commercial-grade appliances
- 4-car garage
- 3,400 sq. ft. climate-controlled collector’s garage, that can hold up to 24 vehicles
- a 100-foot-long gallery hallway
- inlaid golden travertine floors
- library with French doors leading to “The Great English Lawn”
- a loggia overlooking the terrace, multiple gardens, and panoramic mountain views
- plus, a greenhouse with a 60,000-gallon water reservoir
Sotto Il Monte is in Montecito, California and is convenient to pristine beaches, and both the Santa Barbara and LAX airports.