ALBUMS / EPs
1. Naturally – SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS (Daptone)
2. MARTHA WAINWRIGHT (Zoe Records)
3. Grab That Gun – THE ORGAN (Mint Records)
4. NY Muscle – HELL (International DeeJay Gigolo Records)
5. Let Us Never Speak Of It Again – OUT HUD (Kranky)
Indies at their best: The Daps and Brooklyn’s queen of soul keep it organic; Martha makes a better record than her brother; Sapphic, lo-fi Canadian foursome bow at Blondie’s alter; the internationally devilish DJ flexes his skills and the ever cool Hud collective channel early ’80s Danceteria-era No Wave.
Most honorable mention: The Emancipation of Mimi – MARIAH CAREY (Island) Don’t be a hater.
“Don’t Phunk with My Heart” – THE BLACK EYED PEAS (A&M)
“Nu-Nu” – FANNYPACK (Tommy Boy)
“For the Nasty” – Q-TIP featuring BUSTA RHYMES (Universal)
“Theand That Feeds’ – NINE INCH NAILS (Nothing)
“The Paddle” – DJ TOUCHE (unreleased)
The Peas absolutely pee with an ol Lisa Lisa riff just ripe for summer; Jailbait FP dig in the crates and revamp an ol house party classic; Q & Busta take us back to the block; Trent and co. don’t bite; The Wiseguys’ Keating lights yo ass on fire.
(Peace Bisquit is Bill Coleman)