Steven Corfe writes:
After spending last night pulling teeth watching two hours of Grey’s Anatomy, I feel inclined to clear up a few non-truths about Los Angeles. The show basically followed Kate Walsh as Dr Addison down to California, where she met the co-stars of her proposed spin-off series set in the “Oceanside Wellness Group.” Sell-out. Judging from the forced pilot, if it ever comes to light, it’s going to be more General Hospital than Seattle Grace. Here are the common LA myths:
• In Los Angeles offices, the receptionists do not emerge topless at lunchtime, wax their surfboards in the lobby, and catch afternoon waves. When I worked the WOW reception, the best I could hope for at lunch was a 20-minute toner-run to Staples and back.
• We do not all wear pastel clothing.
• There are no offices with exposed-brick walls in LA. The only brick I’ve seen in this town was on Disneyland’s Peter Pan ride.
• The sunlight in LA does not shine prettily through horizontal blinds at a 45° slant. Blinds must be fully closed all day, or your computer monitor will melt.
• Not everyone has Tinkerbell dogs. Especially not straight black men like Taye Diggs.
• No one ever walks on the grass alongside the ocean in Santa Monica. Unless they’re looking for crystal meth.
• There are no talking elevators in LA. Really. No shit.
– Steven Corfe