Comedy legend and Gay Icon Carol Burnett is returning to series television this fall. Filming has begun on Household Name, produced by Amy Poehler for ABC.
Poehler presented Burnett with a SAG Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016, where she spoke of the enormous influence Burnett had had on her and Tina Fey:
“We watched Carol with our moms, and our moms taught us 90 percent of what we needed to know to be the kind of women that we are today, and the other 10 percent is Carol.”
Burnett has had 22 Emmy nominations, winning six over the past five decades. The classic The Carol Burnett Show ran for 11 seasons, 1967-1978.
Household Name is about a family who gets the deal of a lifetime on a fabulous house, but it comes with an unusual caveat: The original owner of the home, ageing former film star Vivian Valmont (Burnett), has to live in it with them until she dies.
The new series will bring us another gay character to prime-time television. Timothy Omundson, who deliciously played King Richard on Dan Fogelman’s (This Is Us) musical comedy series Galavant for two seasons on ABC, will play the male lead, Edward Von Glimpse, Vivian Valmont’s longtime gay pal. He is Valmont’s confidant; a droll, dry, witty queen, and a real throwback to Hollywood’s more elegant era.
Omundson, with that epic beard, is straight, but not narrow. Season two of Galavant had opening number which featured Kylie Minogue. Omundson quipped:
“We had an opening number in a gentlemen’s club. There’s never been a gayer episode on network TV without saying the word gay.”
Household Name is being executive produced and written by Michael Saltzman, who was an executive producer on Murphy Brown and recently, AMC’s Mad Men, Hell On Wheels and Halt And Catch Fire.
With such great pedigrees, I have high hopes for this one.