Texas just took a giant step back with the newly adopted platform of the GOP.
The shocking platform, voted on by 5,100 delegates at the party’s biennial convention in Houston this weekend, also
- affirms Texas Republicans’ opposition to “all efforts to validate transgender identity”
- calls for a ban on any gender-affirming medical care, including hormone therapy, for anyone under the age of 21
- opposes “all efforts to validate transgender identity”
- supports “Reintegrative Therapy” to eliminate “unwanted same-sex attraction”
- rejects offering any protections for members of the LGBTQ community
- renounces penalties for those who discriminate against the LGBTQ community
Delegates at the convention were handed flyers attacking the LGBTQ community, including one titled;
“Beware of the Homosexual Agenda”
The Log Cabin Republicans of Texas, that represents LGBTQ members of the party, were denied a booth at the convention. This prompted them to denounce the action as
narrow-minded… political short-sighted”
Chris Halbohn of the Log Cabin Republicans of Houston, responded to the anti-LGBTQ language with weak toast calling it
But one GOP precinct chair said that the Log Cabin Republicans’ ideas are
quite frankly, evil.“ and that their “ideals will destroy our society”
Party delegates also voted to support barring the teaching of sex and sexuality in schools while calling on Texas schools to teach the “dignity of the preborn human” believing that life begins at fertilization.
Delegates also declared Biden’s win illegitimate. These people are dangerous idiots.
Maybe since they’re SO afraid of our “agenda”, we should actually adopt one –officially.
This is highly alarming but also an opportunity to build the Democratic Party in Texas. Much of the state GOP platform—including it’s bald-faced homophobia—is NOT POPULAR, even in Texas. https://t.co/IuDGh4rEmz— Jonathan Alter (@jonathanalter) June 20, 2022
I often hear Republicans say they want to make a “bigger tent” and to be more inclusive.— Sergio Martínez-Beltrán (@SergioMarBel) June 17, 2022
It’s clear that many Texas Republicans don’t want LGBT+ people in it. Here’s some of the flyers being passed around at the TX GOP Convention: #txleg #txpol pic.twitter.com/3S7vDX9WfM
(Photo, Twitter; via HuffPost)