My girl Christina Aguilera has been slaying the music game for 15 (!) years. From her various iconic looks to that voice and her gig as a judge on The Voice, the diva has constantly served up proof of her overall fabulousness that deserves to be celebrated every day of the year. But since today is the diva’s birthday, here are the top 11 Xtina moments so far!
1. Christina’s performance with Lady Gaga on The Voice was, in one word, EVERYTHING. Her outfit, vocals, and ESPECIALLY her big hair were completely and thoroughly on point.
3. Christina’s duet with Diddy “Tell Me” is one of the greatest duets in recent history. (Yes, I said it.) It was ahead of its time in 2006 and still sounds like it could be from the future.
4. Christina gave perhaps the most understated and controlled vocal performance of her career when she covered Nina Simone‘s classic “I Loves You Porgy.”
5. When Christina paid tribute to the late James Brown at the GRAMMY Awards with a performance of “It’s A Man’s World,” she received a standing ovation for delivering a super soulful performance. Patti Smith commented that it was “one of the best performances that I’ve ever seen…I sat and watched it, and at the end, I just involuntarily leapt to my feet. It was amazing.”
6. I have no idea what the context was here, but Christina shared this photo on Instagram recently while working with David LaChapelle on what appears to be some sort of photoshoot situation. Regardless, she looked flawless. And I absolutely love Christina with big hair.
7. This moment in MTV VMA history changed my life. Christina walked out to present an award wearing the most fabulous barely-there outfit I had ever seen to the debut of her song “Dirrty,” empowering 13-year-old gay boys (*ahem*) all over the world to break out of their inhibitions and let loose!
8. Christina also completely changed the game when she stepped onto a red carpet in this look. She was brave, totally fearless, and gave no f*cks about what anyone thought. (Have you noticed my obsession for Xtina in big hair yet?)
I’m so glad I’m mature enough to fully appreciate this look tbh A photo posted by Nigel (@nigelandrewww) on
9. You may think Burlesque turned out to be Christina’s Glitter moment, but when it comes down to it, the movie co-starred Cher and featured some incredible performances, like this one, which is basically the Christina – meets – Dali – meets – Magritte – meets Bob Fosse – meets Liza Minnelli moment you’ve always dreamed about:
10. One word: “Dirrty”
11. Pretty much the fact that Christina is totally my type of girl: