Randy Barbato writes:
Joan Rivers rules. An absolute God. Pure punk. Her red carpet show on the TV Guide Channel left E!’s coverage in the dust. Some reasons why:
• She used Lisa Rinna as a prop.
• Not only has she perfected surgery, but she perfected the plastic surgery joke: “I’ve had so much plastic surgery, instead of tears I cry urine.”
• Her filmed sketches for the nominated films were all slam dunks! Her Crash sketch: instant camp classic.
• After Rachel Weisz snubbed her, she called her publicist “a fat ugly publicist who I think is named Mara.”
• Her conversation with Dolly Parton was the best TV in years! Think about it!
• Recovering from an awkward silence after reminding Steve Carroll that he had “all of this because he wasn’t best-looking in class,” she looked him in the eyes and gave him sincere showbiz advice: “Keep writing.”
• She had the smarts to put Greg Proops next to Melissa on the tower – which completely transformed the event.
There is a perception that Joan’s red carpet antics are screamy-shouty-sour grapes, but the reality is that she entertains us, she asks insightful questions, she is giddily un-PC, and her legendary status cannot be touched by a single person she interviews (OK, maybe Dolly). It’s amazing to see her on the wrong side of the velvet rope and yet, it makes total sense. We should all take comfort that she is on the same side as we are! She’s too good to just be passing by and posing.
– Randy Barbato