My list of THE HOTTEST MOVIE STARS ever to grace the silver screen, from the silent era to this afternoon. They’re all here. Check them out after the jump. (PS This list is NON-NEGOTIABLE).
1. Richard Barthlemess: You can have your Valentinos and John Gilberts. For my money, the hottest silent actor was Richard Barthlemess, star of DW Griffith classics Broken Blossoms and Way Down East. So gorg. And always so watchable. Check him out in 1921’s Tol’able David, and you’ll be smitten too.
2. Ramon Novarro – Mexican silent fim star whose lurid death-by-lead-dildo at the hands of two hustlers often overshadows his career.
3. Tyrone Power: Never in the history of motion pictures has there been anyoone as breathtaking as the young Tyrone Power. MY GOD, he was MAGNIFICENT. Just a pretty, pretty man. Unfortunately, he drank away his good looks, and by his 30s he was merely adequate-looking. Very sad.
4. Farley Granger: Farley made a career out of being wide-eyed and perennially out of his league in films like Strangers on a Train and Rope. In real life, Farley was openly gay at a time in Hollywood when it was dangerous to be so. A personal hero of mine.
5. Sal Mineo: From his career-making role as the little gay boy in love with James Dean in Rebel without a Cause to his controversial later roles like Who Killed Teddy Bear, Sal broke boundaries and lived on the edge his entire life . Definitely an icon for the ages.
6. Harry Belafonte: Dizzyingly good-looking singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist, who made his mark in films like Otto Preminger’s hit musical Carmen Jones (1954), Island in the Sun (1957) and Robert Wise’s Odds Against Tomorrow (1959).
7. Brando: Only the manliest man to ever walk the face of the earth.
8. Tab Hunter: In his recent autobiography, the ’50s matinee idol talks about the burden of being SO BEAUTIFUL as a teenager that he LITERALLY caused riots in the schoolyard during recess, with swarms of girls pulling at his hair and ripping his clothes off. How fabulous is THAT?
9. Rafael Campos: Prolific Dominican character actor who spent much of career unfortunately typecast as a juvenile delinquent in movies like Blackboard Jungle and Lady in a Cage. He never had any starring roles to my knowledge, but even in the smallest parts (like Mr Budwing), there’s an actual crackle in the air whenever the camera lands on him. (These screenshots don’t do him justice, but truthfully, there’s not a lot about him out there)
10. Paul Newman: It doesn’t get any better than Paul Newman. Young Newman took your breath away. Old Newman was just as hot.
11. Alain Delon: Whatta man. The pride of France. Yes, he’s a bit of an asshole (see: his treatment of his son by Warhol Superstar Nico) and with age he grizzled into a bit of an ogre, but to see him in Purple Noon is to see A GOD STRIDING UPON THE EARTH.
12. Leonard Whiting: Easily the best-looking Romeo of all time, sorry Leonardo. Watching him in Franco Zefrelli’s 1968 version of Rome & Juliet is to glimpse perfection.
13. Richard Gere: Three words: American Gigolo OMG
14. Johnny Depp: To be clear, we’re talking ’90s era Johnny. Cry-Baby, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow. Nothing past Chocolat.
15. Leonardo DiCaprio: Our golden-haired boy. What would the ’90s have been without him?
16. Brad Pitt: There was a time, around Meet Joe Black, when the audience LITERALLY GASPED whenever he was onscreen.
17. Ryan Gosling: The hottest man of the 21st century, no doubt about it.
18. Zac Efron. Just let me have it. No arguing please. I think he’s our generation’s Tyron Power.
19. Michael B Jordan: Future Oscar winner who’s only going to get better with age.