Looking “every bit the hipster heartthrob,” Zayn Malik sit’s down to talk to Billboard about a musical future in which he “aims to prove that he has been his own man all along.”
The interesting tidbits?
– Was stoned during the interview and photoshoot. Only burns Sativa because it’s the “creative weed.”
– Likes girls who are “chunky” in certain areas. Appreciates a fuller woman with an opinion to have intellectual conversations with.
– Album is due in early spring.
– Didn’t buy Made in the A.M. and made a face when talking about 1D’s second single “Perfect.”
– Doesn’t think indie rock is cool (which what other members of the band liked).
– Is not friends with “certain members” of 1D. Zayn has reached out but has not gotten a call back. Asserts that certain people have “pride issues.”
– When he quit, he went home to Bradford and ate for 3 weeks because he lost so much weight while in the band.
– Called his 1D schedule as a “fucking machine going constantly.”
– Said 1D wasn’t allowed to say certain words or things during songwriting.
– Acknowledged that the dark and mysterious role was partly forced on him during 1D.
– Said STATUS was what he accomplished after 4.3 years in 1D.
– Moved to Bel Air and has graffiti all over the house. Particularly proud of a Fresh Prince graffiti.
– Mentioned that Liam always gave him credit when it came to vocal ability.
– Said there was no rivalry between him and the boys of 1D as they are not going head to head.
– Hits the studios when angry or frustrated. Can record 7 songs a night.
– Went to the woods with album collaborator Malay Ho.
– Going R&B with his debut album with songs Befour, It’s You, and Wrong.
– Described by his manager as “incredibly sensitive” but also “very alpha.”
– His label president said Zayn is musically “further along” than Harry. Adding that Zayn’s #realmusic will not feel like choreographed pop.
– Described himself as incredibly disciplined who pushes himself to do things he might not necessarily want to do.
(List via OhNoTheyDidn’t)