Thirty four years ago, the world met Mommie Dearest. If you haven’t seen it, I’m not sure what you’ve been doing with your life, but it was supposed to be a “drama” about Joan Crawford and the abusive relationship she had with adopted daughter Christina Crawford. It stars Faye Dunaway and Diana Scarwid and was directed by Frank Perry, based on the 1978 autobiography of the same name by Christina Crawford, when it came out it was widely panned as over-the-top of the top. The executive producers were Christina’s husband, David Koontz, and Terry O’Neill, Dunaway’s then-boyfriend and soon-to-be husband. It was a commercial success but many say it ruined Dunaway’s career, which in the decade previous was white-hot, when she starred in Chinatown and won an Oscar for Network. Say what you will, but it’s a cult classic, that lives on…
Well, this Mother’s Day people who stay at the W Hotel New York – Downtown can get surrogates today with a complimentary selection of five different types of “Drag Mothers“:
1. Mama Needs a Drink – Enjoy a drink with your Mama and hang out at the Living Room Bar & Terrace where you can order “Mama’s Martini Madness” – vodka, orange and pineapple juice, Chambord, topped with some bubbly and garnished with a kiss from Mama!
2. Mama Knows Best – Let your Drag Mom be your therapist and provide some motherly advice.
3. Mommie’s Turn Down – Mama will tuck you in for your best night’s sleep in weeks!
4. Breakfast with Mama – Yup. Enjoy your breakfast in bed with Mama.
5. FaceTime with Mother – Deliver a FaceTime message to your real Mom from you and your Drag Mother!
Scream it with me:
“NO! WIRE! HANGERS! EVER!”