The Republican Party has released a brief during Pride Month claiming that Trump
“has taken unprecedented steps to protect the LGBTQ community”.
The brief claims that Trump, who has actually worked hard to dismantle LGBTQ rights in America, has
“kept his promise to protect LGBTQ citizens”.
But the brief mostly lists things Trump has SAID, rather than things he has ACTUALLY DONE.
(OMG. This is like the meat industry and furriers saying they are proud of their record of protecting animals!)
According to Pink News,
- The brief leans heavily on the fact that Trump appointed a gay man, Richard Grenell, to be the acting Director of National Intelligence and that he has, to date, nominated two LGBTQ judicial nominees.
- It also boasts that Trump has appointed five gay US ambassadors… out of 189 positions.
- The only change in legislation that the brief is able to point to is the reduction in time that gay and bisexual men have to remain celibate for before giving blood. This change was made during blood shortages because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Trump has consistently worked to dismantle LGBT+ rights throughout his presidency.
- The Trump administration has banned transgender people from serving in the military, actively supported discrimination against LGBT+ people in employment, services and healthcare and erased LGBT+ resources, data and language from government websites.
- This week, Trump’s Republican Party announced that it would be leaving its 2016 party platform unchanged, meaning that the GOP will continue to officially support the reversal of marriage equality.
- The White House also failed to officially recognise Pride Month for yet another year.
Democratic candidate Joe Biden has a comprehensive LGBTQ policy plan, while Trump’s re-election campaign has published no policies whatsoever on LGBTQ issues.
But Trump IS raising re-election campaign funds by selling rainbow MAGA tees. What self-respecting person would actual wear one, besides a paid model?
BTW, he is so big on LGBTQ issues that, on the anniversary of the Pulse massacre, Trump issues a ruling that limits healthcare protections for trans people.
(via Pink News)