Women who attended private house parties in the gated community in suburban Orlando were told to immediately to put away their cellphones. The men there did NOT want their activities documented.
Two women in attendance spoke on condition of anonymity. Details of the parties, which have not been previously reported, were described to CNN:
- The men inside were local Republican officials.
- The partygoers shared drugs like cocaine and ecstasy.
- Some had sex.
- Matt Gaetz liked to discuss politics. Described by one woman as behaving like a “frat type of party boy” and sometimes taking pills she believed were recreational drugs.
- One of the women said she received money from Joel Greenberg after some of the parties… the payments were for providing sex but would not say who she slept with.
- She never received money directly from Gaetz.
- Some took place in hotel suites at the end of alcohol-filled political functions; “No one ever wants to stop partying, stop drinking, once you’ve had a few glasses of champagne in you.”
According to people familiar with the investigation, authorities have spoken with some of the women involved with the congressman and his close friend, Greenberg, the former tax commissioner in Seminole County, Florida, who is currently facing 33 federal charges, including sex trafficking of a minor.
One of the women who spoke to CNN said she did so in part because the picture of Gaetz as potentially connected to sex trafficking that has emerged in recent days does not align with what she saw. Both women said that they never saw anyone at the parties who appeared to be underage. Neither has spoken with federal investigators, they said.
This behavior of Gaetz and the other high-powered men at the events is likely to be of interest to DOJ as part of its, um, probe of Gaetz.