Egypt closed its beaches along the Red Sea through the weekend after two women were killed in shark attacks.
Reuters is reporting the bodies of a 68-year-old Austrian woman and Romanian tourist in her forties were found within hours of one another. The two victims were attacked within just 600 meters—or around 1/3 of a mile—of one another, off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh.
A source told the Associated Press that officials at a private hospital had attempted to save the 68-year-old Austrian woman, who had lost an arm and a leg in the attack, but her blood pressure had fallen from too much blood loss.
The woman, who has not been named, had been living in Egypt for years.
In a statement released on Sunday, the Egyptian Ministry of the Environment said that a committee was investigating the attacks and that all activity in the surrounding area had been paused.
Shark attack in Egypt, the lady lost her life 😳🔞 pic.twitter.com/hE2XGhnl0L— DrunkleZOV💤 (@DrvnkUncleZ) July 2, 2022
(via The Daily Beast)