Danny Franzese will be at RuPaul’s DragCon on May 16 & 17 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Now, before you get a chance to hang with him , you should probably reacquaint yourself with his oeuvre. Of course, you can talk about the recently cancelled Looking (and the upcoming Looking movie)… but you’ll get bonus points with him if you bring up these movies and videos. Check them out below.
5. I Spit On Your Grave: It’s Danny in the role he was BORN TO PLAY: Stanley, the depraved yokel who gets his eyeballs eaten by crows. It’s the coolest moment EVER CAPTURED ON FILM. Better than the Ben Hur chariot race! I’m serious! Netflix it TODAY!
4. YouTube videos “Shit Italian Moms Say” and his Sam Smith Parody “Please Go Home”: Some of Danny’s best work has always been the video shorts he does on his own time. These two are among the funniest stuff on the web. We knew Danny was funny, but who knew he could sing?
3. Bully. Sure, Danny’s first movie is one of the creepiest depictions of suburban teenage angst ever put on film, but once you get past all the murder and mind fucks, it’s quite a hunk fest: Danny (duh), Brad Renfro (HUBBA HUBBA), Michael Pitt (Be still my heart), and Nick Stahl (with the forehead of DOOM, my god he slays me). And because it was directed by Larry Clark, you can cut the homoeroticism with a knife. It’s THAT HOT.
2. Party Monster: Does everybody know that Danny played THREE parts in Party Monster? He was the MC at the club in Dallas (where everybody sang “Money/Success?Fame/Glamour”), he was the voice of the cop who picked Christina off the pavement, and he was also the crack rat who gives you the minutes of the murder at the very end. Truly, the triple crown of acting. Check out the rat’s monolgue at the end of the movie, above.
1. Of COURSE Mean Girls is number one. How could it not be? THE seminal high school comedy of the last 20 years. Yes, yes. I’m just going to say it: BETTER THAN CLUELESS. And the character of Damien literally changed the landscape for big gay boys in high schools across the country. Suddenly they were celebrated instead of shunned. You go, Glen Coco. Watch a compilation of Damien’s greatest moments, above.
BONUS: My superfab interview with him where we talked about body positivity and being King of the Bears.