It’s been five years since Glee star Cory Monteith died of a heroin overdose, and now his mother is speaking about about what possibly derailed his sobriety before death. One theory? Dental work.
“Cory had a massive amount of dental work,” Ann McGregor told People in a new interview. “He had little teeth and they were all capped. He had a lot of medication in his system, which was not good for his body coming out of rehab.”
In April of 2013, Monteith was in a month-long rehab program. Then he had his dental work done between May and July.
“He didn’t have enough drugs in his system to kill him, but for some reason it did because of his intolerance [built up by periods of intermittent sobriety],” she told the magazine.
When his body was discovered there was heroin and alcohol in his system, but also traces of morphine and codeine.
via Page Six:
“I still can’t pick up the pieces,” the 67-year-old single mother said. “My world totally stopped. And I’m a different person than I was before.”
Monteith had been through two rehab stints before he moved to Los Angeles from Canada and landed the role of Finn Hudson.
McGregor explained that her son wasn’t “ready” for Hollywood and drugs were his way of “checking out.”
“Cory didn’t want to die,” McGregor said.
(Photo: Pacific Coast News)