Well, this is unexpected.
Deadline is reporting today that Kristen Stewart has been tapped to play the late Princess Diana in the upcoming movie Spencer, by director Pablo Larraín (Jackie, Neruda).
Rather than being an expansive telling of her life story, though, the film covers just three days at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England. It was apparently a critical weekend in the early ’90s, when Diana decided her marriage to Prince Charles wasn’t working.
Which is an interesting angle….
The big question, though, is about Kristen Stewart. Can she realistically play one of the most complicated, iconic women of the 20th century? Does she have the chops to be both extremely alluring and extremely damaged (as Diana was)?
Explains Larraín of his choice:
“Kristen is one of the great actors around today,. To do this well, you need something very important in film, which is mystery. Kristen can be many things, and she can be very mysterious and very fragile an ultimately very strong as well, which is what we need. The combination of those elements made me think of her. The way she responded to the script and how she is approaching the character, it’s very beautiful to see. I think she’s going to do something stunning and intriguing at the same time. She is this force of nature.
“I’ve seen movies from Kristen that are so diverse it’s incredible, showing different layers and her diversity and strength as an actress,” he said. “We’re very happy to have her, she’s very committed. As a filmmaker, when you have someone who can hold such a weight, dramatic and narrative weight just with her eyes, then you have the strong lead who can deliver what we are looking for.:
Color me intrigued.
A few commenters on LiveJournal cracked me up, though:
- “absolutely amazing. you couldn’t have picked a worse person. this is gonna be great.”
- “I was pretty young with Princess Diana died, but I don’t remember her being an emotionless, vacant eyed American who blinks a lot.”
- “Where is Naomi Watts’s agent tbh”
- “omg please bring back the twilight acting skills for young, shy diana”
- “Was everyone else dead or something?”
- “Here we go with that Snow White and the Huntsman accent again!”
- “They need someone with more charisma for this role, which in this case, is anyone other than Kristen Stewart.”
- “This is some Lifetime “thank god my cousin owes me a favor” casting. Although I’m excited Danny Trejo will be playing Charles.”
- “Those early photos of Di where she looked miserable are prob why, Krissy has that look down.”
- “wtf, did the British royal family order this to sabotage the memory of Diana?”
What do YOU think? Will she be able to play it off or is this destined to be the next Liz and Dick starring Lindsay Lohan… or Jennifer Love Hewitt in The Audrey Hepburn Story?
Spencer is scheduled to begin production in early 2021.