Mike Richards, who was announced as the new host of Jeopardy! just last week, is stepping down.
His stunning announcement came two days after The Ringer website exposed a litany of offensive comments from his past.
Sources who spoke to The Ringer show a different reality. Richards made remarks on The RandumbShow, which he hosted from 2013 to 2014 where he repeatedly used offensive language and disparaged women’s bodies.
But Richards said in a memo this morning.
“It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! as we look to start a new chapter.”
The beloved game show began production on its new season on Thursday, which means some episodes with Richards as host have already been taped.
But Friday’s tapings have been cancelled. He wrote in the memo that Sony
“will now resume the search for a permanent syndicated host. In the meantime, we will be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, details of which will be announced next week.”
The memo indicated that Richards will remain the executive producer of the show. He said to the staff,
“I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to Jeopardy! over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing. I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence.”
Looks like the powers-that-be have decided that Richards is not their guy. On the eve of taping his first episodes as permanent host, he’s out.