Last night’s BET Awards was a nothing short of an incredible extravaganza full of show-stopping moments. Catch our list of the most memorable after the jump!
1. The Bad Boy reunion gave me everything I needed. Puff Daddy danced in a glass box reminiscent of all the iconic Hype Williams-directed music video masterpieces of the ’90s. Lil’ Kim popped out of the floor looking like a Marvel superhero ready for battle. Faith Evans joined to sing late-’90s club anthem “Love Like This.” It was magical.
(Taraji P. Henson summed up viewers’ reaction perfectly:)
— Taraji P. Henson (@TherealTaraji) June 29, 2015
2. Empire cutie pies YAZZ and Jussie Smollet lit up the stage with a medley performance of songs from the hit TV series. Jussie made a moving speech during his performance of “You’re So Beautiful” that added a moving punctuation mark to Pride weekend:
“We live in a nation where freedom is what we represent, yet we are still fighting every day for the basic freedoms of all of our people,” he said. “Let the Supreme Court ruling be proof of how far we have come. Let the deaths of sisters and brothers be proof of how far we have to go. No one is free until we are all free.” He ended the performance with three simple words: “Stand for love.”
And can we just talk about how cute YAZZ looked on the red carpet pls?
3. Tori Kelly and her incredibly vocals stole the show during the tribute performance to music icon Smokey Robinson. I highly suggest watching the video, but get ready for goosebumps.
4. Rihanna stole the show by sitting in the audience looking like the golden goddess she is.
RiRi eventually addressed the audience by teasing her upcoming music video for Bitch Better Have My Money. (Watch the clip here!)
5. The Queen of everything Janet Jackson made her triumphant return to the stage looking like she had just exited a time machine back to 1993 giving us some gorgeous “That’s The Way Love Goes” curls and a perfect white jumpsuit. She accepted the Ultimate Icon: Music Dance Visual Award after a spectacular tribute performance featuring Tinashe, Jason Derulo, and Ciara.
Highlights of this particular moment also included:
- Nicki Minaj adorably filming Janet’s acceptance speech on her iPhone
- Chris Brown‘s reaction when Janet entered the room
- Ciara giving me my entire life as she led the Janet tribute performance
BUT, BACK TO THE QUEEN. When Miss Jackson began speaking, the entire room stood up in silence and paid attention. She said: “It’s been a very long journey to this moment. My heart is so full. Thank you God for making anything, everything possible.” She also thanked her family, including her mother and father who sat in the audience. “Twenty-five years ago, we created Rhythm Nation hoping the world would be a better place. But today there’s even more to be done. To all the fans,” she said, “I’ve missed you so much and I love you so much.”
The beauty! The grace! The class! The talent! She is everything. If you’re not geared up for Janet’s comeback before, you clearly are now.