You had asked for some recommendations on things to see and do besides the Space Needle and the Empire State Building. Well, here are a few of the places I’ve been, and some of the sights:
1) Georgetown, Virginia: Great old homes and brownstones, quaint shops and excellent pubs with a lot of young up and coming college intelligentsia. Some of the best seafood around.
2) The Florida Keys: A string of beautiful islands off the south Florida coast. Each island has its own charm, from scuba diving off Key Largo, to excellent shops, and a makeshift bohemian circus at Mallory Square in Key West.
3) Savannah, Georgia: Historic homes and original plantations, excellent fine dining, beautiful waterways and islands, and almost as many ghosts as the Tower of London. And a load of party people.
4) South Beach, Florida: For the obvious reasons. It’s fun, go there.
5) Williamsburg, Brooklyn: If it’s the next big thing on the East Coast, it starts here.
6) Columbus, Ohio: Home of Victoria’s Secret (bet you’d never guess that), and also has the USA’s highest per capita population of gay men and women. Er, at least, it seems like it.
– J.J. Smiley
[Ed. note: Um, hello? Los Angeles? Beverly Hills. Movie stars. What are we, liver paté?]