For Mothers Day my best friend confessed his secret love for watching Mommie Dearest (which just turned 25, happy Wire Hangers Day). Now, this might not seem strange because the atrocious cult classic has many followers, but he doesn’t watch it because of its camp factor, he watches it because he thinks it’s actually a touching movie. While I was laughing at his explanation, it suddenly hit me that everyone has guilty pleasures. I thought it would be fun to find out what your guilty pleasures are and to share some of mine (like you give a shit – lol).
• The Blockbuster on Sunset is not the closest video store to my house but often I’ll head up that way because Kentucky Fried Chicken is located right next door. Most people wouldn’t be caught dead in the fat-soaked, high-cholesterol establishment, but every time I drive past it my mouth begins to water and I can feel my arteries hardening and I’m compelled to go in and order enough slabs of extra crispy chicken to feed Ann Wilson of Heart (when did she get so fat?). Then I binge on it in the car on the way home as if I were possessed with the spirit of Tracey Gold.
• I love Jenny McCarthy. I can’t help it. Here we are six years after her 15 minutes are over and I still watch her television appearances and movies. They all suck, yes, but there is something about her that keeps me entertained.
• There is a Saturday morning show called Endurance on the kid’s Discovery Channel. The premise is like Survivor for preteens. I set my TiVo to record it every week because the kids are so damn funny and competitive. There have been four seasons, and I haven’t missed an episode. I’m a little embarrassed even as I’m writing this.
• I have Celine Dion downloaded into my iPod. Before you say, “Everyone has Celine downloaded,” I have all of her songs in the karaoke version so I can sing them in the car. Oh, and Christmas carols. Give me some Debbie Gibson bustin’ out “Sleigh Ride” and I’m a happy kid. And as long as we’re talking music, my American Idol crush is Diana Degarmo. Sick, huh?
*If you haven’t ever seen the eighties classic film Girls Just Wanna Have Fun starring Sex and the City alum Sarah Jessica Parker and Academy Award-winner Helen Hunt, then you don’t know what you’re missing. Not only do I have the movie, but also I have the soundtrack. Orbital Bebop!
• Remember when you were little and you’d go out to eat with your parents and you always ordered a Shirley Temple? Well, at 27 I still often have the strong urge to have that sprite and grenadine concoction with tons of cherries on top.
• Screw 2xist and American Apparel. There’s nothing more comfortable than a pair of Fruit of the Loom underwear and a wife-beater. Yeah maybe they’re not the most fashionable things, but I love ’em.
Ok your turn. Spill it. Tell me about your embarrassing little guilty pleasures. BLOG HARD!
It’s always a business doing pleasure with you!
– Dylan Vox