So that cute hedgehog-eating-a-kumquat video sparked a whole frenzy of questions here in the World of Wonder office. Why is someone holding a baby hedgehog in the palm of their hand? Can you buy hedgehogs? How much are they? Can we get a WOW office hedgehog, pleeeease? After much research, here is a condensed lowdown on hedgehogs-as-pets:
- Hedgehogs can indeed be purchased as pets; your best bet is a reputable breeder.
- However, the WOW Report obviously endorses hedgehog rescue as the primary means of attaining your spiny mammal.
- Baby hoglets generally cost $200 from breeders.
- Specialist pet shipping companies will happily fly your hedgehog to you via air cargo.
- Hedghogs can be house-trained to use a litter tray. Avoid clumping type cat litter however as it will clump on your hedgehog’s genitals.
- Yep, they get cancer.
- Pet hedgehogs generally resent being kept as pets and hate their owners.
Oh and no, we will not be getting a WOW office hedgehog anytime soon. General consensus is there’s enough pricks here already.
– Steven Corfe (t/y Tom)