Director Luca Guadagnino is “already conceiving” a sequel to Call Me by Your Name, telling USA Today that he and author André Aciman, who wrote the 2007 novel on which the film is based, had already discussed specifics.
Next time we see Elio and Oliver, it will be “five or six years” after their early 1980s summer spent together. Guadagnino said,
“It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone. You’re gonna see a lot of the East Coast of America… They’re gonna go around the world.“
The film plans have been compared to Richard Linklater‘s Before series and Guadagnino says he would like to shoot the movie when Chalamet, 22, reaches 25, the age the character to be in the sequel set in the late 1980s which will touch on HIV and AIDS.
Guadagnino told The Hollywood Reporter.
“I think Elio will be a cinephile, and I’d like him to be in a movie theater watching Paul Vecchiali’s Once More. That could be the first scene [in the sequel].”
In my opinion, Call Me can be the first chapter of the chronicles of the life of these people that we met in this movie, and if the first one is a story of coming of age and becoming a young man, maybe the next chapter will be, what is the position of the young man in the world, what does he want-and what is left a few years later of such an emotional punch that made him who he is?
At 89, James Ivory took home an Academy Award Sunday for Best Adapted Screenplay for CMBYN making him the oldest Oscar-winner ever.
(via Vogue UK)