Martin Shkreli is going to jail. A federal judge today revoked his bail after he offered $5,000 to anyone who could grab a strand of Hillary Clinton‘s hair.
Judge Kiyo Matsumoto said Shkreli has
“demonstrated that he has posed a real danger.“
In a Facebook post last week, Shkreli promoted a conspiracy about the Clinton Foundation and said he would pay anyone who could get a lock of Hillary’s hair.
Prosecutors said the post reflected
“an escalating pattern of threats and harassment” that required “a significant expenditure of resources.“
Until today, Shkreli remained free on $5 million bail. His sentencing is set for January 16. Shkreli, 34, has called the post “satire.”
“I understand now, that some may have read my comments about Mrs. Clinton as threatening, when that was never my intention when making those comments. I used poor judgment but never intended to cause alarm or promote any act of violence whatsoever.“
His defense lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, initially argued that Shkreli has a nonviolent background. He said,
“Stupid doesn’t make you violent. Sometimes stupid is just plain stupid.“
Shkreli was taken into custody immediately after the hearing. He appeared more nervous than when he entered court and refused to ride the elevator with one reporter because they were “fake news.” He’ll be sent to a maximum-security prison until his sentencing hearing in January.
Jacquelyn Kasulis, the lead prosecutor said his posts about Hillary Clinton and female journalists show an
“escalating pattern of violence against women that is incredibly disturbing. It is clear that he is reckless. He knew exactly what he was doing. He has to go in. … He doesn’t respect the rule of law.”